Monday 9 April 2012

Interview for Double Page Spread

So how you finding life and your new found fame?


Life’s great. Still adjusting to everything all this popularity is new to me but I’m enjoying all the popularity it may not always be here so you know just taking everyday a sit comes and enjoying it while I can.


When did you know you wanted to do music, what made you start rapping?


Ever since I was a kid I used to love music especially rap, I would listen to the lyrics, watch the music and think I want that lifestyle. The big houses, the cars, the jewellery I said I want to be that guy. I want to be in the videos, so you know I started writing lyrics started off performing in front of my bedroom mirror and here I am now.


At what age did you start take rapping seriously?
At around the age of 15, 16


Did you have any other aspirations or was rap always what you wanted to do?
Well when I was young I always wanted to be an astronaut (laughs). Funny how things change. My Mother wanted me to be a lawyer; however my father used to DJ so was always supportive in my choice.


What artists did you listen to growing up? Who do you listen to now?
I grew up listening to everything. Literally everything. I was a big Redman fan, Big Daddy Kane, Biggie, LL, Jay Z, and Nas. That¹s what I’m about. I love the total package emcees. There aren¹t a lot of them around at the moment.

Originally your from south London however you just returned from the U.S after a long stint over there collabing with Jay Z. Tell us about that.
Ahh man where to start. At first when my agent told me Roc-A-Fella (Jay Z’s record label) had phoned I thought it was a joke. It all became reality quickly and next thing I knew I was on a plane to America to meet Jay Z as he said he’d admired my work and had an idea for the two of us. It’s funny really I’ve always admired him and seen him as one of the all time greats so for him to even acknowledge my work let alone want to do a track with me I was speechless


Any plans to move over to the U.S on a permanent basis?
Definitely.  I already feel as though I have dominated the U.K music scene and the challenge of the U.S would be something I’d love to do. The music industry in the U.S is more renowned and much bigger than in the U.K however South London will always be my home and the place that made me the rapper I am today. 





So apart from the new track with Jay Z what else can fans expect from you this year?


Just more music really. Music is my life. If I’m not eating or sleeping I’m writing lyrics or listening to music. So you can expect a lot more music from me this year and my album ‘Coming for the Throne’ that’ll be out in June.
Anyone else you would like to work with, dead or alive?


There are a few names I could say Notorious B.I.G, 2Pac, Nas, Jay Electronica. Oh and DMX he was a great rapper.
Do you still consider yourself as an underground rapper even now after all your new found fame?


I hate labelling myself as one particular thing. However I’m trying to bring back the lost art of raw emceeing, not any of this soft rap stuff so yh I’m definitely repping for all the underground artists who want to bring hardcore underground rap back to prominence.
What do you credit to your success?


Apart from God and my parents I’d say just due to me being myself and not following anyone else.
So what would you say to any young upcoming artists that want to be just like you, trying to break out into the music scene?


Work hard, stay focused and you can be whatever you want to be. Never let anyone tell you can’t do something. Your gonna have to grow some really thick skin as there gonna be some people that don’t like you and want to see you fail, but keep your head up stay strong and keep striving to be the best that you can.
Well thank you for coming in and speaking with us, Rapcity really appreciates it


No problem, anytime it was a pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment